Positive Expectations for Uttarakhand budget by Nirmala Sitharaman
This time the budget of the state’s finance department will be closely monitored. Departmental officers will analyze those plans and financial provisions of the general budget, which will be in the interest of the state.
Uttarakhand is eyeing the general budget of the central government. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will open the budget box on Wednesday. What Himalayan states like Uttarakhand will get from their box, will be known only then. At present, the state government and the people of the state have many expectations from the budget.
This time the budget of the state’s finance department will be closely monitored. Departmental officers will analyze those plans and financial provisions of the general budget, which will be in the interest of the state. This will help them in preparing the state budget. ‘Amar Ujala’ investigates the issues on which the state is hoping to get something special in the general budget.
1. Central Institute for the Study and Treatment of Landslides: The Joshimath disaster has further increased the need for such an institute in the state. The government wants a budget from the Center for this institute. The State Disaster Management Department is making efforts for this institute.
2. Train from Tanakpur to Bageshwar and Doiwala to Uttarkashi: The matter of the Tanakpur to Bageshwar rail line is pending for several decades. The survey of this 154 km long rail line has been done in 2021. It has got the status of a national project. The alignment report of a survey of Doiwala to Uttarkashi rail line has been prepared. 30 thousand crores are estimated to be spent on this 102 km-long project. Budgetary provisions is being expected for both of these projects.
3. For Himalayan States: It is also expected that keeping in mind climate change and environmental importance, the Central Government will announce some plans for the Himalayan states. There should be a provision for a scheme like Vibrant Tourism in the border areas like Vibrant Village. 4. Farming, Agriculture, Horticulture, and IT Sector:
These four major sectors have special importance for Uttarakhand. The provision of a special budget for these four areas is also expected in the budget.
5. Expectation of financial path for big projects as well: It is expected that such a scheme will be started in the budget at the level of the Union Ministry of Jal Shakti, in which the way of funding big projects like Jamrani and Saung Dam will become easier.
What Positive Expectations for Uttarakhand budget?
These are also the main expectations.
- The amount of grants being received under the 15th Finance Commission is decreasing year by year, so the state government expects the central government to increase the allocation of funds in the special assistance scheme.
- The state is suffering a loss of five thousand crores annually due to the stoppage of reimbursement of GST. To compensate for this, the government should give a share to the state in the cess collected from the states on the lines of GST.
- It is also expected that a green bonus should be given to Himalayan states providing environmental services.
- There should be budgetary provision for those works of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, which have not been completed. We will listen to the general budget deeply. If there is a provision for any new central scheme or such centrally funded scheme or a mega project, we will look into it. It will be kept in mind which of those schemes we can include in our budget.